1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 cup diagonally-sliced carrots (about 1/4 inch thick)
2 cups snow peas (6 ounces), stems and strings removed
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces, white and green parts divided
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- In a small bowl whisk 3 tablespoons lemon juice, broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add mushrooms and carrots to the pan and cook until carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add snow peas, scallion whites and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk the broth mixture and add to the pan; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the scallion greens and chicken and heat through. Serve over brown rice or whole-grain noodles.
Nutrition Data per serving (makes about four 1 1/2 cup servings)
Calories – 225, Total Fat – 6 g, Saturated Fat – 1 g, Cholesterol – 63 mg, Sodium – 448 mg, Total Carbohydrates – 14 g, Fiber – 3 g, Protein – 27 g
Did you know ShopRite of New Rochelle offers FREE nutrition services? Greta Breskin, Registered Dietitian, is available for grocery store tours, individual counseling, product information, health events and community programs. Contact her at 845-475-4940 to learn more!
Recipe modified from Eating Well Magazine, May/June 2009