I’m bringing sexy breakfast back!
Your momma told you: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And we still hear it all the time. Most of us grew up eating a good breakfast before school but as we got older, we treated it like most of the stuff we learned in school and just forgot it!
Well, with respect to the back-to-school season, you should eat breakfast everyday! And eat it as soon as you wake up–at least within the first hour (unless you are on medication;make sure it will not interfere).
If you’re time challenged, eat a small portion of breakfast before you head out the door, then eat the rest of the meal later.
Also, plan ahead. On Sunday (maybe while you’re watching football), prepare a few things you can enjoy during the week. Or buy some healthy grab-and-go items at the grocery.
Either way, your body will appreciate it.
If you are an AM workout person, your body will need an energy boost. Have a small snack before you go–such as a piece of fruit, which provides quick energy and is very light. Toast with a bit of jam works well too.
Here are some great, easy, fast breakfast recipes:
- Yogurt Parfait: 1 container non-fat, plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup cut up fruit, ¼ cup almonds or walnuts, ¼ cup whole grain cereal and 2 teaspoons honey.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly: 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 2 teaspoons sugar free jelly, 8 oz 1% or skim milk
- Light Egg Salad Sandwich: two slices of 100% whole wheat toast, two hard boiled eggs (mashed with 2 teaspoons light mayonnaise), 4 oz 1% or skim milk and ½ cup of fruit.
- Waffle Twist: 1 whole grain/ whole wheat waffle (frozen is okay) with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, ½ banana sliced on top, 8 oz glass of 1% or skim milk.
- Veggie Grilled Cheese: 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, slices low fat/fat free cheese melted (or can use spreadable light cheese), ½ cup spinach, 2-3 slices of tomato, ½ cup of fruit.
Until next time,